Monday, August 12, 2013

Negative Space

So... Babycakes is not one of the kits I'm featuring at a crop.  So I started playing with the paper pack that I have.  My 'baby' is 15, but I'm expecting my first nephew in December.  So whether these pages stay in my no-photo's album until I get that first grandchild, or if they are pictures of my daughter and nephew I'm covered with this great paper.

I also tried out the new Artbooking cartridge.  It's taking me a little while to get used to it and see what I can use from the pages.  One of the great consultants at convention mentioned using the reverse spaces of background cuts, and I tried it out.

Frist I cut the lattice background from page 50 of the book - (no shift).  The items on this page are designed to perfectly fit a 8X6 mini album, but I work in 12X12's.  So I set my Cricut for 11" and got this:


I was left with these negative spaces still on my Cricut mat.


From my test run with white paper, I had noticed a triangle pattern when cleaning it off, so I removed some of the brown squares to get this:


I used glossy accents on the squares and triangles for one corner:



and then placed my colonial white paper over, pressed down and then waited about 10 minutes for it to set well.   Then I picked by cardstock up slowly and most of the squares stuck to the paper.



For the ones that didn't I just peeled them off the mat and glued them back down.  The newer your mat, the more this might happen.



In the end, I have two pretty cool bases for a double spread.



After I finished I had this:







I can't decide if I like the negative space even better than the main cut!



1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! I would have laid my cut out over top of the page and individually fit each of the squares. Doh!!

    ReplyDelete