Monday, August 12, 2013

Negative Space

So... Babycakes is not one of the kits I'm featuring at a crop.  So I started playing with the paper pack that I have.  My 'baby' is 15, but I'm expecting my first nephew in December.  So whether these pages stay in my no-photo's album until I get that first grandchild, or if they are pictures of my daughter and nephew I'm covered with this great paper.

I also tried out the new Artbooking cartridge.  It's taking me a little while to get used to it and see what I can use from the pages.  One of the great consultants at convention mentioned using the reverse spaces of background cuts, and I tried it out.

Frist I cut the lattice background from page 50 of the book - (no shift).  The items on this page are designed to perfectly fit a 8X6 mini album, but I work in 12X12's.  So I set my Cricut for 11" and got this:


I was left with these negative spaces still on my Cricut mat.


From my test run with white paper, I had noticed a triangle pattern when cleaning it off, so I removed some of the brown squares to get this:


I used glossy accents on the squares and triangles for one corner:



and then placed my colonial white paper over, pressed down and then waited about 10 minutes for it to set well.   Then I picked by cardstock up slowly and most of the squares stuck to the paper.



For the ones that didn't I just peeled them off the mat and glued them back down.  The newer your mat, the more this might happen.



In the end, I have two pretty cool bases for a double spread.



After I finished I had this:







I can't decide if I like the negative space even better than the main cut!



1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! I would have laid my cut out over top of the page and individually fit each of the squares. Doh!!

    ReplyDelete

October Stamp of the Month

The October stamp of the month is called Christmas Tunes.  It's $17.95 or only $5 with a $50 purchase.  Only available during the month...